Monday, April 3, 2017

Piecing Today - Queen Sized Quilt Top

I finally got some time to go to my "Outhouse" to start piecing a queen sized quilt top I've had fabric for sitting around for a long time.  I got out my Singer 301A to work on this project.  I love these little machines for straight stitching.  In my opinion, they out stitch any of the others I've used.  Don't get me wrong, I love all my vintage machines (Singer 221, 401A, 404, & 27), but the 301As overall perform the best for me.

Chain stitching the Half-Square Triangle Squares.

I never get tired of my view over the machine.  We had a beautiful day.

The center lines have all been scant 1/4" stitched and cut to form 2 piles of 50 HST squares each.  The left pile I will press the seams towards the darker fabric, the right pile I will press the seams towards the lighter fabric.  Why press the seams in different directions for half of the HST squares?  Once I begin stitching the squares together into rows, the seams will "nest" together because of the way each square is turned.

All 100 HST squares have the seams pressed in the appropriate directions.

Now, each HST square needs to be trimmed to 8 1/2" squares.

Here I start laying out all of the HST squares into their proper formation.  This is the start of the center of the quilt top.

Stitching the HST squares together into rows.  

I'm loving my new 1/4" foot I got from Nova's Featherweights & Quilting.  Not only does it work great on my 301s, but it will also fit the 221s.  It's just right for stitching a perfect 1/4" seam!

That's it for today.  I will post more progress in days to come.

1 comment:

  1. what a job trimming those HSTs. I too love the straightness of my featherweight can now see the 2 machines I have with fancy stitches do not do a perfect straight stitch, when I mentioned it to my man who services them he said no once a ziz zag is added it throws the stitch very slightly not that you notice unless you really look. I have removed the metal bit from my 1/4" foot and it is good that it fists onto my new home machine too so I can share the feet which surprised me being a different make.

    ReplyDelete