More Vintage Sewing Machines

Oh yeah, I am a vintage sewing machine junkie for sure!  Last week, I bought three more of the old beauties - I just couldn't help myself!  The difference this time is that these three are actually in nice working order and not from someone's junk pile.  While I do love doing rescues, once in a very great while I have to get one (or, in this case, three!) that's already cleaned up and working.  A very nice gentleman had a bunch of beautiful old machines he was selling.  He said that after his wife passed away a few years ago, he has gradually lost interest in the old machines.  I do understand that when you lose your life partner, many things just don't mean the same.

Well, anyway, he had lots of machines, but I just don't have room for treadles, so had to walk by those.  But, he just happened to have some very nice table models that caught my eye.  Most of his machines were "special."  In other words, not your everyday Singers and Whites, but not ones you see very often.  Since he was cleaning out, his prices were way below reasonable, so I had to get three...haha ;)

Even though all were in great condition, I still had to spend some time this afternoon polishing, oiling, and just plain fondling the old girls.  Oops, I hope that doesn't sound too perverted...haha.  Those of you who have been bitten by the Vintage Sewing Machine bug know what I mean!  I haven't sewn on these machines yet, but all three are in great working condition.

One is a Davis Vertical Feed with a hand crank.  This one was made some time between 1860 and 1870.  I haven't been able to track down a closer date, but hope to find it one day.  She doesn't have feed dogs, but has a foot much like a modern walking foot.  As you sew, the food actually moves front to back to feed the fabric through.  It's more than fun to watch!  This one has a coffin top lid.




This one was manufactured by Hengstenbeg in Germany.  She's called a "Housewife's Delight" and was made around 1895.  She has a beautiful Mother-of-Pearl inlay in the bed.  I had not seen that before.  This one also has a coffin top lid.




The last one is a Willcox & Gibbs, Model 64.  The closest I can get to a manufacture year is 1912.  What a unique machine this is!  It runs so smoothly and is super fast!  It's hard to believe this is the newest of the three.  It's amazing how heavy it is too.  It has a huge foot pedal.



Here's a video of the machine running.  Better keep your fingers out of the way on this one!

I guess the nice man I got these from saw that I was completely hooked because before I left, he GAVE me an absolutely gorgeous 1919 Singer 66.  That worked out perfectly for me, because I wanted to switch out a 1901 Singer 27 I had that was in very poor condition with a machine in better shape.  Well, I put the Singer 66 into the nice cabinet in place of the 27.  It was perfect!

What a great end to a week!  Oh, I also took three quilts in for a quilt show coming up next weekend.  I will have another story and pictures next week about that show.  Stay tuned......


Comments

  1. what wonderful buys you have made especially loving the Willcox and Gibbs one such a lovely shape. Presume you did not bring them home on the bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's such fun! And, no, not on the bike ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment