Around The World Blog Hop - I've Been Tagged!

I was tagged by Martha who has a blog called Quilt To The Edge.  Martha belongs to the same local quilt guild that I do and also rides motorcycles.  The difference is that she rides with her husband and I ride solo, but we both enjoy riding.

Martha did let me know ahead of time that she wanted to tag me for this Around The World Blog Hop and I agreed to do it.   I have to answer four questions:

1.  What am I currently working on?
2.  How does my work differ from others of its genre?
3.  Why do I write/create what I do?
4.  How does my writing/creative process work?

To see what others who are participating in this blog hop have written, track back to Martha's blog, the the ones she noted in her blog, and so on.

Well, here goes!

1.  What am I currently working on?  Right now, I'm trying to get many things ready to sell at a local Christmas bazaar next weekend as part of my business.  One of the things I'm working on today is putting borders on several "orphan" blocks I have had stashed away for years.  Once I get all the borders on, I will layer and quilt them so they can be used as table toppers.  Here are some of the blocks that I have all bordered.
     
Before I begin quilting them, I have to decide what design I will use.  To help me with that, I have several quilting designs done on samplers that I refer to a lot.  Here are a couple of those samplers.
     

2.  How does my work differ from others of its genre?  I'm not really sure about this, except I don't have any one style I stick with.  I like piecing, paper piecing, traditional, modern, applique (both hand and machine)......you name it!  I pretty much like all styles I've tried.  I don't really have a favorite color scheme either.  I go with whatever I think fits the particular design I'm working on.  I love trying new things all the time!

3.  Why do I write/create what I do?  Because I can't stop!  Really, ideas pop into my head all the time for things to create.  That's one of the reasons I started designing quilt patterns.  Since I was a kid, I've always been drawing or painting just because I feel I have to try to put what I see in my mind onto some type of medium.  I get such a feeling of happiness when I can actually see the results.

4.  How does my writing/creative process work?  When I design a quilt pattern, many times I will fire up my EQ7 and just start drawing.  Many times I will have a shape or color in mind and, using that as a starting point, create a quilt design, again using EQ7.  I'm somewhat of a techie so find it easier using the computer for drawing most of the time.  If I'm creating an applique design, I will draw it by hand first, then scan it in to EQ7 to incorporate into an overall quilt design.
I travel a lot in the summer on my motorcycle and always have my camera.  I take tons of photographs of scenery, objects, and people.  I use these photos sometimes when I create designs or paintings.

Before I sign off, I just want to do a little shameful publicizing of my quilt pattern design business.  It's called Carter Creek Quilts, and there are links to my Etsy.com shop and Facebook page in the left column above.  For the Etsy.com shop, you can click on the image that says, Carter Creek Quilts.  For the Facebook page, you can click on the Facebook image.  Exploring these linked pages will tell a better story about what I do.  Thank you!

Ok, on to the person I have tagged, Ruth Blanchett.  Click on her name to get to her blog.  Ruth is the owner of Arbee Designs LTD with the main office located in New Zealand, and design center in California.  In addition, Ruth is also a quilting teacher and designer.  Arbee Designs LTD also operates the Academy of Quilting which has over 100 online classes available.

I hope you have enjoyed my blog.  Have fun going forward!




Comments

  1. Great blog post!!! I LOVE your idea for the quilting sampler, fabulous. I am going to put one together. It would be nice to have a reference of actually patterns to go to when deciding on how to quilt a piece.
    Thanks for participating and I am looking forward to reading up on Ruth's post also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. popped in from Martha`s blog another blog I now have to follow! good to have found you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment