Friday, March 1, 2013

My First Sampler Quilt

Even though I've been quilting for a few years now, I am basically self-taught.  I learned through quilt books, magazines, videos, and on-line tutorials.  I've done many techniques on various quilts, but have never done a sampler quilt.  So......I browsed the classes on Craftsy.com and decided to do their FREE Block of the Month 2012 class taught by Amy Gibson.  I've had a lot of fun learning about how to put various blocks together in ways other than how I came up with.

I chose colors different from those shown in the Craftsy.com sample.  I used a variety of of same print, different bright colored fabrics with black as my background color.  Here are the blocks I've done:


Asterisk Block
Wonky Pound Sign Block
Greek Cross Block
Octagon Block
Traditional Dresden Plate Block
Modern Dresden Wheel Block

Ohio Star Block
Double Star Block

Chain Block 
Cleopatra's Puzzle Block

Friendship Circle Block
Circle of Geese Block

Balkan Puzzle Block
Chunky Chevron Block

String Block 
Broken Spider Web Block

Hexi Stripe Block
Sunny With A Chance of Hex Block
Modern Log Cabin Block
Wonky 4-Sided Log Cabin Block




Blocks all put together with sashing.  A 2" border comes next, then the top will be done.

I took a couple of other Craftsy.com classes on machine quilting.  One is taught by Leah Day and the other by Angela Walters.  I'm anxious to try out my new machine quilting knowledge on this quilt!!  Stay tuned for pictures in a few weeks :)


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun learning time and an Awesome quilt!!! I love both Leah and Angela, they both taught a tutorial for our free motion quilting challenge last year. I learned so much from both of them!!! Have a fabulous weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete