Monday, April 16, 2012

How I Make Half-Square Triangle Squares

I'm working on testing a new pattern and in the process have to make half-square triangle (HST) squares.  So.....I thought this would be a good time to share how I make them.  I'm sure the way I do it is how many people make them, but I'm going to share anyway.

But first, I'll show you the fabrics I'm using for the new quilt.  There is a dark green, medium green, medium beige, and light beige.

The quilt will have some applique.  These are the fabrics I'll use for that.

 Got all the squares cut.

And now for the HST squares......

I want HST squares of dark-green and medium-green with a finished measurement of 4" x 4".  I cut squares 1" larger than the finished size I want.  So, since the finished size of these HST squares should be 4" x 4", I cut my squares 5" x 5" - one of each color fabric.

I draw a line diagonally from corner to corner on the lightest of the two 5" squares.  In this case, it's the medium-green.

Put the 2 squares right-sides-together.  Stitch a scant 1/4" from the line on both sides of the line.  This means just slightly less than a 1/4" seam allowance.

 Cut on the drawn line.

I now have 2 HST squares measuring slightly larger than 4 1/2" x 4 1/2".  Press the seam allowance towards the dark fabric.  Sometimes the seam allowance will need to be pressed towards the lighter fabric - it all depends on the placement of the HST squares in the finished block.

Now trim each HST square to a perfect 4 1/2" x 4 1/2".



An that's how I make HST squares that come out the exact size I need......most of the time :)


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for being part of this blog tour,your great instructions. Hope I'm a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Block. Love pansies! Petunias also. debbie73521@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I resemble that :) I am a Granny, almost retired....and I ride a Harley every chance I get!!! I love your block. Of course I would, we have a lot in common!! Thanks
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete